Friday, June 14, 2013

June 13, 2013

Well, there's four days left of hot water, four days left of toilet paper, four days left of knowing exactly what I am eating, four days left of being in a country that I know the culture, and four days left of knowing that I can revert back to English and have my companion know what I'm saying.  I'm pretty excited.  I originally thought leaving 3 weeks early wasn't going to be enough time, but I feel like I'm prepared, and what I don't know I'll learn faster in Indonesia anyway.  We leave from the MTC West Campus at 5:00 on Monday evening.  We take the frontrunner to the airport, and we have a 9:51 flight to San Francisco.  Then, at 1:30 am, we fly to Taiwan.  And then from there, we go to Jakarta.  We arrive in Jakarta at 1:00 pm, Wednesday afternoon.  So we arrive there in what feels like 44 hours, but we are only actually traveling for 30.  Only being a relative term. 

That's the excitement for this week.  Other than that, it doesn't seem like much has happened.  Things are pretty much always the same, here at the MTC.  We got haircuts today, which was nice.  I've felt like I needed one for a while.  And we dropped our suits off to get dry cleaned yesterday.  We got our second Japanese En-sif-ill-ite-us (I don't know how to spell it, so just sound it out) shot last Friday, so it's nice to know that I won't catch a disease that has a 25% mortality rate, and a 50% brain damage rate. 

We got new missionaries into our zone yesterday, four of them, and they're going to Greece.  Two elders and two sisters.  The elders are from Scotland and South London, and the sisters are from Italy and Finland.  They all have super cool accents.  And Elder Wood and I get to "train" them (or just show them around, kind of, and make sure they understand things).  It's been fun, the last couple of days. 

We had our last gym time yesterday, which was kind of sad.  We have to skip our last scheduled gym time to pack, and tomorrow's "in-field orientation," so we don't get gym.  We look forward to gym a lot more than we probably should, but it's really the only time we get to get out and blow off some steam.  We always play sand volleyball.  It's a blast because there are only a couple of people that are really good, so the rest of us can just be bad together.  It works out nicely. 


And dad, no, I've eaten no authentic food since I got here to the MTC.  I don't even know if it's authentic American food sometimes.  But Brother Rawle, a teacher they hired two weeks ago, was telling us about all this great food and I can't wait to eat it.  I guess it's so cheap to eat there that he only cooked on Sundays when he couldn't buy food.  So maybe I won't walk away knowing how to cook.  I hear the fruit Durian is really good.  It stinks, but all of my teachers like it. 

More later.  Love, Elder Heiner

In case you wonder how we really spend our day, here is the weekly
schedule we follow, with all our classes and places we have to be.
Our flight plan
Tacky Tie Tuesday
Ties provided by Elder Wood's family

No comments:

Post a Comment