Monday, October 28, 2013

October 28, 2013

Hello, Everyone,

So, I'm actually in Tangerang, now.  It's great.  I love it here.  I love almost everything about it.  The thing I really hate -- the angkots are color coded.  In Malang it was letters, Bekasi used numbers, and Tangerang uses colors.  It's not that great for the colorblind individual.  But I'll get over it.  And, I like everything else, though.  

We have a bunch of people to teach, seeing as that we absorbed our teaching pool and the teaching pool of the other companionship.  It's really nice, but also very difficult because only a few of them live close to each other, and this place really is huge.  It's a struggle for one companionship to visit all of the people, which is really not the worst problem I've ever heard of.  It's not even really a problem.  Busy is good.

We got new area books the other day.  They're nice, with lots of plastic sleeves and stuff so that things look nicer and more organized.  It was a good chance to clean stuff out, too.  We found one teaching record from 2008 that had been followed up twice this year, once in January and once in May.  The January status said, "the number's not active, so we went to her house and it was empty.  She must have moved."  And then the May one said, "we found out she died three years ago.  We'll send the referral to the spirit world mission office."  There was another record with a phone number written on the top, and someone else had written, "this is not _____'s number, this is Mr. ______, and he is NOT interested in our church."  Funny stuff.

The wards here are good.  There are some really good, active members, and we got invited to like 15 people's houses.  I asked them when we should come over, and none of them gave a real answer, just whenever.  A real relaxed attitude.  And I don't know any of their names.  So maybe I'll ask them again next week.  There's also this really old lady who has a bunch of children who are really strong in the church.  She's really cool, but we had the same conversation about what my name is, where I'm from, and if I'd met her son who's in America, four times.  Actually four times.  Elder Sutarno thought it was the funniest thing he'd ever heard.

Speaking of my companion, Elder Sutarno, he's way cool, really stellar.  I can't complain about a thing with him.  He's way on top of things, and I'm always surprised when I realize that he's only been here for 2 months.  And then I realize that we only have 6 months field experience between the two of us.  He knows his way around the Tangerang 1 area like nobody's business, and he knows considerably more than me about Tangerang 2, but we're both still learning.  Things are good, and he's teaching me lots, even though I feel like I should be the one doing the teaching...  But yeah, it's good.  It's kind of quiet in the house, with only two of us.   But, OH, we have beds here!  It's the first time I've slept in a bed since I got here.  Usually it's just a mattress on the floor, but here we have bunk beds.  I spend the first night on the top, but since there are only two of us, I took the opportunity to claim a bottom bunk.  It's super nice, and the mattresses are new, and man it's amazing.  I sleep so well.  It's not just a six inch foam pad (Malang) or a one inch foam pad on a box spring (Bekasi).  I'm really enjoying my time here.  Even though I've only been here for a few days.  Not even a full week... 

President Gong from the Area Presidency is coming tomorrow, we have "mission conference."  Except it will be in three parts because it's easier to move the AP's and President Donald and Sister Donald and President Gong than it is to fly two zones to Jakarta...  But Medan's coming down, which is super exciting because I get to see Elder Barrus and Elder Murphy and Sister Jibson and Sister Hutcheson.  It's going to be great.  We have to take a taxi at 4:30 in the morning to get there on time.  That part is going to be less fun.

Yep, well, I think that's about it.  I hope that things are going well for all y'all.  I'm super grateful to be here.
Love,  Elder Heiner

We've had some rain since I've been here.  Well, a lot of
rain, actually.  It flooded while we were in a lesson.  The
deepest part in the street was a foot and a half deep.  The
closest I have been to swimming since I got here.
Me and Elder Sutarno, about 20 minutes ago.
The Tangerang house.

No comments:

Post a Comment