Monday, June 16, 2014

June 16, 2014

Well, sorry for no pictures...  I went to go send some, but I forgot my camera cord.  And then I looked at my pictures, and realized that I don't even have any to send.  So I guess this is all going to be my boring writing to you.  I'll try to remember all that happened in the last week.  No promises.  

Yesterday and Saturday was District Conference, so we attended that, and all the members from Malang came up, which was super cool.  I got to see all sorts of people that I hadn't seen in a year.  President Donald and Sister Donald also came up (because he's presiding...) so I got to see him and talk to him a little.  He's great.  We had a couple members from Tangerang because they have mission-related callings/jobs, so that was cool, too.  Earlier this week, I went on splits with Elder Haws.  I don't know if this'll get to anyone who knows him, but he is a really impressive missionary, and I was super excited to get to go out with him.  He's way brave and knowledgeable.  But the thing I like most about him is that he's always looking to get better.  It was really cool.  

I guess I haven't really told you anything about my area here, have I?  My companion is Elder S. Marsudi, but Marsudi isn't actually in his name, that's a Javanese name.  He's 24, and not really interested in a mission until his little brother left on his mission, which made him want to serve.  He's probably the most well-read missionary that I've ever met.  He knows the scriptures super well.  He's a really hard worker, but he's getting a little trunky because he's only got 2 months left.  Not that he doesn't want to work, he's just working at a regular pace, not at his usual more-than-anyone-else pace.  I'm learning a lot from him.  He's from Solo, but a different ward than Elder Sutarno.  

Here, I've kind of given up on the whole cooking thing.  It's way cheaper to eat on the streets, things that would be 15.000 rupia in Tangerang are only 8.000 or 9.000 in Surabaya.  So I'm just eating from the street, which is delicious.  Except breakfast.  Elder Rogers bought a toaster when he was here, so I've been eating toast.  It's been a great change.  Milk here is terrible.  The best kind you can get is like crappy skim milk, and it costs $3 a liter.  But chocolate milk is OK, so I try to drink some each week.  We are biking here, except when we go to Malang or Jakarta, and then we ride a plane.  I have not yet seen the ocean, It's far away, I guess, and we don't have any investigators that live there.  

My grandma had a question about old people, like if they live with their children, so I'll answer that for the benefit of the crowd (which I'm sure is mostly her and my grandpa).  Families are a very important social unit here, so they usually live together.  It's not weird to not move out on your own.  At all.  In your entire life.  I mean, at some point, someone moves away for school or work or something, but usually someone lives at the parent's house until they all move, and then the parents move in with someone to take care of the kids or cook or just hang out until they die.  It's a really cool tradition, but it's happening less and less as Indonesia becomes more western.  

Also, this week, I'm going to Jakarta again, I have to go and sign for my KITAs again.  I guess that means I've been in Indonesia for a year, which is a weird thought.  The sisters in my group got their death date, the 26th of November.  That's really strange to think about.  But I try not to that stuff much.  

Anyways, my time's up, but hopefully this was a little more interesting than "sorry I don't have time.  I'm still alive, I promise"
I love you!  Elder Heiner


No comments:

Post a Comment