Monday, July 28, 2014

July 28, 2014

Hello, everybody,
So, there was a lot of hype these past few weeks about some election that was supposed to be really close, and we got a whole bunch of warnings from our leaders that there could be riots or crazy stuff going down because a lot of people really cared about who was going to be the next president of Indonesia, but when the appointed day came, nothing was different.  I noticed absolutely nothing.  It was like the rapture day back in high school.  Everyone made a huge deal about it, but then nothing happened.  To be completely honest, I was hoping for something crazy to happen so that I could tell some cool riot stories, but no one did anything.  And it sounds like that's the way it was across the country.  Disappointing.  
We went to Malang this week, took the train.  It was a little stressful because I accidentally bought tickets for 4 in the morning instead of 4 in the afternoon, and didn't realize it until 2 in the afternoon.  But we got there, we just took a faster, more expensive train so that we could get seats (bummer.  Not really).  We usually take the train that costs 5.500 rupia and takes 3 hours because the timing is better, but instead we took the two hour, 25.000 rupia train.  The AC is better in the more expensive one, and there was tons of room, so maybe we'll always take the nicer train, just adjust the schedule.  We'll see how my new companion wants to do it, because we won't be going until the end of next month, and Elder Marsudi goes home before that.  
Malang was fun, but it was freezing.  It gets so cold over there, like 15 or 17 degrees Celsius.  And the water is not heated, so taking a shower is soooooo cold.  I get goosebumps.  I remember why I bought a sweatshirt while I lived there.
We went to the zoo for p-day last week, and I have a really cool picture of me at the top of a 5 story tower over Surabaya and also feeding a deer (it's an attraction here, they should see Oregon, all the wild deer that are a novelty here), but because my SD card is over half way full, it takes too long to open.  You might not be getting many pictures the next few weeks until I get back to Senopati and pick up my empty SD card.  I'll still get some that way, but maybe only 2 or 3.
Also, I wrote a letter to Elder Heiner in the MTC, but Dear Elder doesn't have an international option, so I told it I am writing from Jakarta, ID, which is almost the same as Jakarta, Indonesia.  I put my right zip code in, so maybe someone who is looking closely will notice that ID stands of Indonesia, not Idaho.  We’ll see if he ever gets it.  Crazy to think that he's going to be in one of the coldest countries in the world, while I'm in one of the hottest.  I hear that in some cold places, missionaries use golf balls to knock on doors because they don't want to get their hands frozen.  Here, I use my ring to knock on gates because everyone has a gate, and it's forever away to the door, and it's bad manners to just yell.  And that's when we knock on gates, which is generally just when we have an appointment because we're not allowed to go tracking here.  There's so many differences but it's still the same work of the Lord.

I love you!  Elder Heiner

With the Malang district.  No, we are not weird.
The name of our town "Surabaya" comes from
an old legend of a shark, called "Sura" in Indonesian
and a crocodile called "Bauya" in Indonesian.  They
fought until they both died.  I don't know how the city
came from that legend but there's a pretty sweet statue.
It turns out my shirt has a picture of a different
"shark fighting a crocodile" statue.

No comments:

Post a Comment